October Minutes 2013
October 29, 2013 4-5 p.m. at FLS Energy Boardroom
Current: $6729. — 27 paid members
Wrote $250 for trolley sponsor, We will also be getting a RADA membership.
Event Follow up -Matt Sprouse
1. Review Past Events:
Emerald Ball – Street Closing – Shut down businesses down depot, hurt Gallery, the Blue Kudzo and Junction might of done good business
– The map that they gave with the alternate route was hard to follow, businesses at the bottom of Depot St. lost business. The Junction seemed to be busy
Asheville Marathon – Street Closing, Trip, Clingman Café, positive for neighborhood and his business new faces
– Police men would close one lane and let cars through, we liked this.
– Call it “Rolling Closure”? vs “Road Closure” phrasing on signage, Runners were slow and spread out, the road was not really closed.
– The race was challenging but they did a good job getting info to neighborhoods, they hired extra police to help keep people safe, Avl Marathon wants people to be happy and the on lookers
Communication is key: Notifications on front end, people planning events need to make contact with neighborhoods, 2 or 3 months notice is helpful
If something happens that we do or don’t like you can email TKTKTKT
– Event planners like the neighborhood to like the event
2. Discuss Upcoming Events:
– RADBA helped to get the time change, we really appreciate how the YMCA came and talked with us a few months early
– RADBA has a committee called the RADPAC that filters information back to the group
River Arts District Stroll
– RADBA is sponsoring the Trolly
Letters To Council and RAD Lofts – Tim Schaller
Harry is gonna build the rad lofts
Concerned about parking, crosswalks, traffic
Affordable live spaces
Live work spaces for artists
Incubator spaces for artists
Perpetuate studio space for artist keep it
Develop a place for artists to grow business and artistic skill
– Tim presented in the name of RADBA to the council. From now on conversations to the city you can go to the Executive board prior to speaking for the group.
-Mark Hunt is active about getting the telephone poles down
– With all the infrastructure, Harry has to pay for a lot, but he’s a developer who likes to talk, so if you have ideas please let the RADPAC know and we will help communicate
– Public funds can offset affordable housing but not necessarily affordable retail, we would like to see affordable retail for up and coming artists
– 45 million development project, 3-4months
– Matt Sprouse – The RAD Lofts site design is made up of 7 buildings with courtyards, like Wall Street downtown
– Doesn’t close on property until December
West side of Depot St. Parking
– Parking places planned on Depot Street had almost passed, but a new person was hired at the railroad so we lost some traction, but Kim Putman is contacting the new laison
– 6.5 ft sidewalk from corner, 30 spaces
– Stripe other side of street
Pedestrian Bridge installed. Asheville Design Center did it! Nov. 14 Thursday 3:00 ribbon cutting ceremony, Joe – Chris – AVL Design Center – its installed! They are still working on more crossings build a bridge
Dave MMS will help sponsor membership drive. We will be sending a mailer to the postal routes in the neighborhood, encouraging the neighborhood to join.
Q: Should Membership dues change 50% before certain date? A: To avoid confusion we should keep annual dues $100 no matter when you join. It’s a donation to the neighborhood.
FLS Meeting Room – If we get more members we might need more space, Suggestion – Blue Kudzu, Or the Grant Center
Evan, AVL PD – Bunch more graffiti – Please report graffiti – call it in 828-252-1110 its the only way we can help stop it.
Odyssey Clay – Benefit Auction $20 Saturday Night – 5:00pm Then the party moving to Gray Eagle that night for music and more benefit
RADA – Oct. 31 Deadline money has to be in- to get the guide – Membership for associate is $100 Space in the back, Advertising Space Available Lori Mckarry, Online by credit card or check. RADBA will join RADA
RADBA welcomes Susan Kagan – Open house – 31 Riverview Dr. Nov. 6 – 4:30-6:30pm, 3rd house on the right